Mercury is a silvery white metal that tarnishes slowly in wet air and freezes into a soft solid resembling tin or lead at -38.87 degrees Celsius (-37.97 degF). It reaches a temperature of 356.9 degrees Celsius (674 degrees Fahrenheit). A glass container and liquid mercury beads will not mix. This is because each molecule of mercury has a positive charge and as such cannot penetrate the surface of another atom or molecule.
The boiling point of mercury is 38 degrees Celsius (100 degF). At this temperature, one part in six million of mercury evaporates into the air.
Freezing point: Mercury has a low freezing point (–38.87 degrees Celsius or –36.8 degrees Fahrenheit) and therefore is difficult to freeze completely. Small amounts do sometimes freeze in large containers though, so don't throw away frozen mercury!
When it comes into contact with water, mercury becomes volatile and can be absorbed through the skin or ingested through your mouth. If you come into contact with mercury, immediately wash your hands and arms with soap and warm water, then call a poison control center or emergency room if you are exposed to more than just a little bit of mercury.
People have been dealing with mercury for thousands of years using various methods, from simple washing to complex chemistry experiments.
Mercury has a melting point of -38.9 degrees Celsius, a boiling point of 356.7 degrees Celsius, and is the only metal that remains liquid at ambient temperature. Droplets of liquid mercury are gleaming and silver-white, with a strong surface tension that makes them look spherical when placed on flat surfaces.
When exposed to air, mercury will gradually evaporate, leaving small particles of elemental mercury that are highly toxic. The particle size decreases as more mercury is evaporated, so even very small amounts of mercury can be harmful if they are inhaled or ingested.
The most common form of contamination from mercury is the vaporized mercury that escapes from broken thermometers into the atmosphere. However other forms of contamination may also exist, such as liquid mercury in unsafe levels inside homes or schools. These areas should be inspected by qualified personnel to ensure there is no risk to human health.
People who breathe in mercury vapor may experience symptoms such as chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, headache, and skin rashes. Those who ingest it may experience similar effects from smaller doses. Elemental mercury is more dangerous because it is much easier for the body to absorb. Those who come in contact with it should take precautions to prevent absorption of the substance, such as wearing protective clothing, using protection methods recommended by EPA guidelines, and taking shelter during storms or floods where it might wash off contaminated areas.
Physical Characteristics At normal temperature, mercury is a silvery-white, gleaming metal.
|Melting point, °C||−38.89|
|Boiling point at 101.3 kPa, °C||357.3|
|Density at 0°C, g/cm3||13.5956|
Mercury is a silvery, thick d-block element. It is the only metal that is liquid under conventional temperature and pressure conditions. Mercury has one of the smallest liquid state ranges of any metal, with a freezing point of -38.83 deg C and a boiling point of 356.73 deg C. Because it is so reactive, most mercury is kept in a safe container away from oxygen and other elements that could chemically change it.
Older thermometers contained some amount of mercury because it was inexpensive and gave reliable readings down to 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit). Modern thermometers do not contain mercury because it is toxic and causes damage to the environment when it leaks into soil or water. However many mercury thermometers are still sold for use with caged birds due to their stability at low temperatures.
Freezing mercury changes all of that. When ice crystals form inside a jar of mercury, they will become unstable and release gas bubbles, which will cause the glass to break. Even if the glass does not break, the constant movement of the mercury as it freezes will eventually cause the jars to crack. Hanging plastic bags over the containers to prevent air flow can prolong the storage life even further.
There are two ways that freezing mercury can be used as a heat source: immersion cooling and vaporization. In immersion cooling, the entire container of mercury is frozen.
Mercury is a peculiar material in that it is a metal that is liquid at ambient temperature. This is feasible since liquid nitrogen is significantly colder than -38.83 degrees Celsius, while mercury freezes solid at -38.83 degrees Celsius...
...Yes, liquid mercury can freeze.
The freezing point of mercury is -89.2 degrees Celsius, but it usually occurs as droplets rather than as a solid because at temperatures below about -60 degrees Celsius, it begins to vaporize.
So the answer is yes, liquid mercury can freeze and no, it is not good for you.
Freezing mercury is not dangerous if proper precautions are taken because when it freezes, it turns into a glass-like substance that is not toxic. However, if it melts again it will be liquid mercury that is toxic. So once it has frozen, it is not harmful.
Mercury has a melting point of -38.83 degrees Celsius (-37.89 degrees Fahrenheit). Cooling mercury below its melting point allows it to solidify. Another way to solidify mercury is to subject it to high pressures above 14 kilograms. (33 pounds, 8 ounces.) per square centimeter (0.5 MPa).
You can make any kind of shape you like out of solid mercury using this technique called "cold working." For example, you can use it to fill up a liquid-metal lamp or a mercury thermometer. Or you could even use it to print letters on the surface of the mercury using a laser.
People have been making use of the properties of mercury ever since it was first discovered that it can be used as a fluid medium for light transmission. The ancient Greeks and Romans knew about this property of mercury and used it in lamps that were similar to modern-day incandescent lamps. They also used mercury in thermometers because it changed color at different temperatures, just like today's thermometers. Modern thermometers still include mercury because it is a good conductor of heat and it changes color at a constant temperature, which is why thermometers work well enough for measuring food and drink recipes too!
Mercury has a melting point of -38.83 degrees Celsius.
Mercury is the only metal that is liquid at 0 °C. This property makes it useful in thermometers and barometers. But the substance is also toxic if it comes into contact with skin or if it is inhaled.
At room temperature, mercury is a solid. However, under certain conditions, it will begin to melt and become liquid. The melting point of mercury is -38.98 °C. That's why normal thermometers based on a chemical reaction with mercury to indicate temperature don't work at temperatures lower than -38.98 °C.
The vapor pressure of mercury is very high, so it would normally be expected to evaporate easily. However, because its surface tension is so low, even small amounts of mercury can form large droplets that don't evaporate for hours or days. These droplets can then fall back down as new ones form from the original pool of liquid mercury inside the thermometer bulb. Over time, this process would cause the bulb to fill up with liquid mercury.
The amount of mercury used in thermometers is not much, but it can cause problems if enough gets into the environment.